The decision to place an elderly loved one in a special care facility is fraught with emotion. In addition, if you are doing this for the first time, it can be confident and stressful. If you are looking for elder care Floral Park NY, the following tips may be quite useful to you.
How Is the Facility Run?: Things To Look For
The first aspect to check out revolves around how well the facility is run. Here are a few things to look for:
- Is the facility accredited and/or licensed?
- Have any complaints been lodged with the Better Business Bureau?
- What types of professionals are on the staff?
- Does the home answer calls 24/7?
- How competent is the administration?
- How has the facility fared throughout the COVID-19 pandemic?
Also, Medicare.gov offers a very helpful online tool that provides factual information regarding elder care homes based on the ZIP code. This alone can save much trial and tribulation.
How Do They Treat Your Loved One?: Things To Look For
Remember, moving to a nursing home is an unpleasant and sometimes frightening experience for most individuals. Here are a few pointers that will help ease these concerns:
- Trust your gut, if the facility “feels” wrong for your loved one, seek elsewhere
- What types of services are provided for the residents?
- Is mealtime communal?
- Are transportation services provided for residents who can move about outside the facility?
Another excellent idea after you’ve narrowed down your search to a few top candidates is to ask friends and acquaintances what they have heard regarding the care home.
Choosing the best elder care facility is always a challenge. By following the aforementioned tips, you can avoid the bad experiences that some people have. Above all, the care of your loved one is the most important issue at hand. Do your research and keep a positive frame of mind. Very soon, your diligence will pay off.