The Top 5 Reasons to Have Your Teeth Whitened
These days, teeth whitening ads stare at you from your flat screen TV, pop up on your computer screen, glare from glitzy magazines and invade the sound waves from your radio. Granted, pearly whites are overrated, and most dentists are in it to make the big bucks. And yet, the nagging question won’t leave you alone – are my teeth white enough or should I get them whitened? Since none of your friends is brave enough to tell you the truth, here are the five definite signs that you’re in desperate need of teeth whitening.
1. You are a people magnet… until you open your mouth. You would be a social butterfly if social butterflies weren’t expected to talk. As soon as you open your mouth, people’s gaze drops from your eyes to your mouth, and a look of horror appears on their faces. Even if they manage to regain a polite composure, you know the moment is over and chances are you’ll never see them again. While this might be helpful in certain situations – like when you have been set up for a disastrous blind date and want to make him or her disappear -most people agree that a grill that’s a social repellant isn’t the most desirable trait.
2. Every Christmas, Secret Santa brings you teeth whitening kits. You have a collection of at-home tooth whitening kits given to you by Secret Santas at every office party, family gifting and holiday celebration event. While this might be a pure coincidence, chances are there might be a message hidden under that pile of bleaching products.
3. People frequently ask if blueberries are your favorite food. Fruits and vegetables were never your thing, and yet you’re constantly asked if blueberries are your favorite food. Weirdly enough, no one ever seems to have an answer when you say, “No, why?”
4. Even strangers tell you that you should quit smoking. The smell of cigarettes makes you sick to your stomach and the thought of poisoning your lungs with nicotine has never crossed your mind. And yet your family, friends, and even complete strangers tell you that you should quit smoking. If you think this is another coincidence, look in the mirror and smile.
5. The only time you don’t get asked about your teeth is Halloween. You love Halloween because nobody asks what happened to your teeth. Of course, that is because they assume that you’re playing a witch or a corpse and simply forgot to put on the other parts of your costume. Too bad Halloween is only one day a year…
What Should You Do if Your Teeth Need Whitening?
If any of these signs sound familiar, don’t despair. Nowadays, tooth whitening is a simple and painless procedure. A skilled dentist can whiten your teeth in just one office visit. For instance, Zoom teeth whitening usually requires only one hour in the dental chair. However, if your teeth are severely stained by medications such as tetracycline, most teeth whitening methods will not work. In this case, your dentist can create a dazzling white smile by placing porcelain veneers over your teeth. While the dental veneers cost is higher than the cost of whitening, the result is typically worth it. If you decide to get porcelain veneers, make sure to tell your dentist about all your dental problems, such as any TMJ symptoms and teeth grinding, as these issues might interfere with the veneers.